The Mission of the District is to facilitate the integration of security activities through the support of projects and services that enhance the federal security mission of the Captain of the Port; State and local law enforcement; and local intelligence gathering to prepare for, deter, and/or respond to security threats
2021 Board of Directors
Security Zone 1
Mark Griffin, Technical Security Supervisor, ExxonMobil Baytown Complex
Security Zone 2
Tim Krietemeyer, Security Manager/FSO Intercontinental Terminals Company
Craig Nelson, Fire Chief/FSO - Albemarle Corp., Vice Chairman
Security Zone 3
Eric Finck, Security Superintendent, Texas Plants, Lubrizol Corporation
Gary Scheibe, Security Manager, Deer Park Refining, Chairman
Security Zone 4
Eric Bass, Plant Manager, INEOS ESPM Project/ASA Specialties Plant, Secretary
Clayton Pace, President & CEO, ChemQuest Chemicals, Treasurer
Director at Large Harris County Commissioners Court Appointee
Niels A Aalund
Municipal Director Harris County Mayors' and Councils' Association Appointee
Ex Officio Director Port of Houston Authority Appointee
Jessica Thomas, Director of Security, Port of Houston Authority, Assistant Secretary
May 10, 2022
4400 Highway 225, Suite 200, Deer Park, TX
*** Chairman's Annual Report ****What is the Houston Ship Channel Security District?
- It is a unique public-private partnership dedicated to improving the security of the region’s waterside and landside supply chain. This is accomplished by
- Providing the local matching share funds for federal grants for security projects
- Providing funding assistance to state and local law enforcement agencies for security monitoring and patrols, and
- Providing security training classes for personnel employed by the facilities of the District
You will soon hear from our Law Enforcement partners. Each will be making a presentation today briefly describing their accomplishments and their plans. There accomplishments and plans are made possible, in part, by the funding mentioned earlier. This funding is obtained through our annual assessments of the industries which make up the Houston Ship Channel Security District.
Port Security Grant Program
- Through industry’s 25% cost matching support for Port Security Grants, our partners obtain almost $3 million for Security Projects in 2021. Put another way, for 25 cents our members receive a dollars’ worth of services to ensure our cargo keeps moving in the Port area.
- The HSCSD Board approved matching requests for port security grants for:
- City of Houston over $1.25 million to update the firefighting simulator; Replace hazmat firefighting equipment and Continue the build of a new Marine Tactical Operations Center.
- Harris County CTS over $1.25 million for upgrades to Port Security Surveillance System
- HCSO over $.5 million for improvements and upgrades to the existing marine dive unit boats and equipment.
- The Security District also helped fund almost $1 million in operations and maintenance of equipment and assets purchased with current and previous PSGP awards.
- The Security District training early this year was limited by the Corona Virus. We were not able to hold classes in person because of State and City/County orders. MTSA FSO and CFATS FSO trainings were conducted in-person in the final quarter of the year.
- The District also funded 3 new Cyber Boot Camp courses for FSO’s in keeping with the growing emphasis on cybersecurity
- We conducted a workshop on the TWIC Reader Rule in August. Plans are underway for another workshop on the TWIC reader rule next year.
- The HSCSD continued the funding of $215,180 for the continued support of two maritime intelligence analyst positions within Texas DPS to focus on maritime security threats. One position is based in Austin at the State Fusion Center and one is based in Houston with DPS’s intelligence center, to include work at locations within the Security District. We are very pleased with the work we have seen produced by them so far this year.
- What makes the HSCSD work is that it is a public-private partnership, created by industry for industry. Our success is owed to you as great partners.
- We’re constantly engaging to make sure we’re being good stewards, and if you have any comments, questions, or concerns, please contact me directly or your zone representative.
- This only works if you continue to see the benefit of supporting this partnership.